Definitely,Maybe (Adam Brooks,2008)
Producer- Adam Brooks
Production Companies-Universal,Studio Canal,Working Title,Ringrirke Erste Filmproduktion
Stars-Ryan Reynolds,Rachel Weisz and Abigail Breslin
Running Time-112 mins
Rating-PG 13 for sexual content,some frank
dialogue,language and smoking
Filming Locations-New York/City USA
Box Office-Opening Weekend-$11,472,255 (USA) (17 February 2008) (2,204 Screens) £698,041 (UK) (10 February 2008) (332 Screens)
USA Gross 2008- $ 218,281,370
UK Gross 2008-£ 5186,669
Here is the trailer for Definitely Maybe:
Will Hayes, a 30-something Manhattan dad is in the midst of a divorce when his 10 year old daughter, Maya, starts to question him about his life before marriage. Maya wants to know absolutely everything about how her parents met and fell in love. Will's story begins in 1992, as a young, starry-eyed aspiring politician who moves to New York from Wisconsin in order to work on the Clinton campaign. For Maya, Will relives his past as a idealistic young man learning the ins and outs of big city politics, and recounts the history of his romantic relationships with three very different women. On the campaign, Will's best buddy is Russell McCormack. They not only have similar political aspirations, they share the same type of girl problems, too. Will hopelessly attempts a "PG" version of his story for his daughter ad changes the names so Maya has to guess who he finally married...
Tag line-3 Relationships.Three Disasters.One Last Chance
Opening analysis:- ( Lasts 2mins)
Deconstruction of opening shots
- First Image/shot is a woman saying 'Hi Will Package for you' an then a brown letter addressed to Mr William hayes of 1932 West End Avenue,New York is slammed on the desk. main character? set in America?
- Then shows the guy who is sitting in an office clicking his pen (Ryan Reynolds) is this William Hayes? He starts to open the letter so this could signify that it is him the letter is a divorce letter which is negative, romantic comedies typically start on a sad note eg seperation and then they have hope of falling in love again.He says that he never imagined that on his wedding day he would be part of the 46% that doesn't live happily ever after.
- He then goes on to mention that he also never imagined that he would be part of an advertising agency trying to get kids to eat captain crunch instead of fruit loops!
- Following that comical comment he goes on to say that tuesdays and wednesdays are his favourite days for he picks up his daughter Mia from school.(This shot of him is a mid-shot which shows he's come out of work into a city bustling of life.
- It's a sunny day which could reflect his current mood.Then he follows on to say that it is a great feeling when you find a track that goes with the day and that he has found the absolute perfect song for that day.(Shots of him putting earphones in hear and close up of putting that song on his phone.
- He puts the wrong song on and it is a rap song which again is comical seeing a close up of his confused face.He corrects himself by saying no this perfect song. The song is upbeat which creates a good atmosphere for the audience whilst again reflecting Will's mood.
No immediate music only the characters comical voiceover which is a thoughtrack.Then it changes to music about 1.40 mins to 'Everyday People by Sly and Family Stone'. The lyrics could symoblise that he has made mistakes but everybody has and everybody is equal, no role can differ that whether people agree or disagree with that. 'We are the same, whatever we do.'
Simple black background and white font looks serious which is odd for a Romantic Comedy Film, keeps flicking from film footage to the titles and stops for about 30 seconds or so and carries on when he plays the music on his i-pod and the titles come up in a white curved font contrasting with the white background. Again this is odd for a romantic Comedy but looks slick and professional.
Office-Will was wearing a smart suit howve slhtl u done which cod signify he has been working hard.Examples f adverts behind him which is what the company does (advertising agency).
Outside-Walking down the busy highstreet, signifies that is is rushhour for he is pickng up is daugher up from school.Whilst walking he plays music and we see his phone which plays the music.
Any Influence? The way Will plays his music on his i-pod and we as an audience can hear it making the sound,diagetic.We thought this was a good idea, but we're not sure if we will use it.