- Starts with the music of who wants to be a millionaire, and Hugh Grant (playing the main character) his narrating how he feels about life.
- He switches off the t.v by saying "what a load of bollocks" showing his negative point of view, he goes on to mensioning that with the right technology you can make "your own little paradise" showing his dependence on technology e.g. he had a cup of coffee in microwave, showing laziness as he couldn't be bothered to make a fresh cup from the kettle.
- There is modern technology - signifying he is a single man because he will not cook himself.
- Lots of modern colour schemes, silver, biege, white etc. very plain possibly showing a plain personality. Also his clothing is plain- just jeans and a jumper, not very out-standing.
- We see a piece of paper on the table next to the phone with a number on, this woman ring and leaves a message as he throws the paper away - signifying he is not bothered about anyone.
- The protagonist's face is hidden at first, we see fish, fish usually don't take alot of looking after signifying he is alone - no pets.
- As he leaves the house he looks in the mirror, poses and then walks out to look into a silver object, this shows he is vain.
- We switch to a young boy lying in bed with a pet hamster, this also shows loneliness which links them together.