Production Companies-Fox Searchlight Pictures (Presents)Mandate pictures , Mr Mudd (Co-productions)
Distrbutions-Fox Searchlight Pictures and 20th Century Fox
Stars-Ellen Page,Michael Cera,Jennifer Garner,Jason Bateman,Allison Janney and J.K Simmons
Running Time-96 mins
Rating-15 due to strong language and moderate sex references
Filming Locations-Canada, USA
Box Office-(Budget- $ 7,500,000)
Opening Weekend-$413,869 (USA) (9th December 2007)
£2,002,120 (UK) (10 February 2008) (363 Screens)
Here is the trailer for Juno:
Sypnosis-A tale told over four seasons, starting in autumn when Juno, a 16-year-old high-school junior in Minnesota, discovers she's pregnant after one event in a chair with her best friend, Bleeker. In the waiting room of an abortion clinic, the quirky and whip-sharp Juno decides to give birth and to place the child with an adoptive couple. She finds one in the PennySaver personals, contacts them, tells her dad and step-mother, and carries on with school. The chosen parents, upscale yuppies (one of whom is cool and laid back, the other meticulous and uptight), meet Juno, sign papers, and the year unfolds. Will Juno's plan work, can she improvise, and what about Bleeker?
Tagline- A comedy about growing up and the bumps along the way...
Opening Analysis (Lasts 2 mins):-
Deconstruction of opening shots
- First shot on film has he first title which says 'Autumn' in white font on a black background.This is unsual for these colours are often used in horror films.However the word 'Autumn' is written in a bubbly font as it was handwritten/doodled by a teenager.This teenager in this case could perhaps be Juno? This anchors the current season that the film is set in.
- The black background then transfrom into a long shot of a house (possibly Juno's and we can see a girl at the far left of the shot (who again could be Juno) with Sunny D in her hand, facing an oldfashioned armchair.The weather looks like a new day is starting-dawn?The title autumn becomes transparent and then dizzolves off screen
- 3rd Shot,zooms closer onto Juno who is now taking a drink of her Sunny D as if she was gulping whisky and wipes her mouth on her sleeve!This is comical and it gives us an idea that Juno isn't very 'ladylike'.
- 4th Shot is a close-up of Junos face.Her hair is scraped back and no make-up sigifying she doesn't take care in her appearance,down to earth maybe? She seems to be in deep thought looking at the chair.Is the chair symbolic? Has a chair affected her in some way? A voiceover then says 'It started with the chair'-Again as an audience member we wonder even more, how the chair is involved
- 5th Shot is a low angle, from the side of Junos ankles and in the background you can see someone (Paulie) sitting in a chair naked.Possible sex scene ?
- 6th Shot shows Juno's cherry knickers falling down her legs which again connotes that she is about to have sex.The cherry knickers a comical fo they are quite frumpy and could signfy that she is about to 'pop her cherry' and not be a virgin anymore. Juno then steps out of her knickers that were around her ankles and she rocks on her feet nervously which could also anchor that ths is her first time.
- 7th Shot shows her walk slowly towards (Paulie) which again could show nervousness.Close up of her as she is walking towards him-she looks happy but smiles nervously.Juno then sits on his lap.
- 8th Shot-Extreme close-up of Juno and Paulie's lips kissing.This emphasises their passion.Paulie then whispers in Juno's ear and says 'i've wanted this for a very long time.This shows they've delayed having a sex and that he too could be a virgin? Also shows his love for Juno.
- 9th Shot- mid-shot of Dog woofing which abruptly interrups the 'romance' which again is funny.Mid-shot of Juno's reaction as she says 'Jeeze Banana,Shut your frickin' gob okay? This is a humourous line as she is talking to a dog and has been interrupted by her daydreaming about her and Paulie with the chair! A voicover then says 'This is the most magnificent disregarded living room set i have ever seen.'As if she is about to nick it!
- 10th Shot shows a side shot of juno walking down the street.Runners run past her which is significant for they are in the film alot as Paulie is part of that running team.
- The footage then cleverly turns into a cartoon animation of her but it still shows her walking on down the street.It looks like somethin out of a comic book or what a child has drawn as the coloring in of the cartoon is done in felt tips.This is quirky and unique to watch,engaging the audience even more for the scenes of Juno walking are always changing as she passes different places
All I Want Is You-Barry Louis Polisar, This acoustic song is very folky has is has a guitar and a harmonica playing.This sets the feel to the film making it appear friendly,straight to the point,down to earth,orginal,simplistic and charismatic.
Written in a childlike scribble handwriting like it could be Juno's handwriting.The titles also move slightl just like the cartoon footage does as if it was on a projector.This gives a sense of more fun.
Juno's costume is very preppy which again connotes that she is at highschool , a tomboy and doesnt really give a great deal about her appearance.Drinking Sunny D again shows her tom-boyish attitude.
Juno's house is fairly middleclass for it isnt massively big but it is a nice surrounding suburba.
The chair outside her house which is randomly dumped may represent attitudes in her neighbourhood.
Any Influence? We loved the sound of the soundtrack for it fitted perfectly well with the film.The fresh sound of this acoustc music influenced our ideas of our soundtrack as we are now possibly thinking of doing a live sound recording rather than a sound clip made on garageband.We also like the unique film titles as we intend to do quirky titles too.The comical lines that are also said whilst giving exposition gaves us some ideas for our main characters lines.